Today we are announcing the alpha release of Telemetry, our real-time and historical monitoring tool for MongoLab deployments. Telemetry is a customizable dashboard GUI that displays important MongoDB metrics and helps you effectively monitor and tune database performance.
Metrics in Telemetry
The alpha version of Telemetry displays real-time and historical MongoDB serverStatus data.
Specifically, there are historical graphs for:
- Opcounters (queries, inserts, updates, deletes, getmores, cmds)
- Effective Lock
- Page Faults
- Index Access (accesses, hits, misses)
- Network (in, out, requests)
- Queues (readers, writers)
- Journal (stats, commits in write lock)
- Background Flush
- Record Stats
- Replication Stats (oplog window, lag)
Telemetry has many features to help you quickly assess the health of your deployment.
By default, Telemetry displays all of your historical MongoDB serverStatus data in a grid layout. You can also choose to view graphs in a row layout, which allows each graph to span the width of your screen. If there are specific graphs that you want to view, you can further customize the dashboard by adding, removing, or dragging individual graphs to specific locations.
Preset and dynamic zooms
Our Zoom feature allows you to specify the timeframe for database metrics that you’d like to view. For example, if there’s an incident that occurred within the past hour, you can use the “1 HR” zoom option to filter out irrelevant information.
For further granularity, you can also highlight over a section of interest on any chart.
This action provides a custom zoom that allows you to closely examine metric values.
Once you have your desired zoom set, you can lock your cursor by double-clicking on any point on a graph. This locked point in time will propagate to all the charts, making it easy to compare metrics at the same point in time.
Sometimes you want to view real-time performance metrics. You can access your real-time dashboard in Telemetry by clicking on “View real-time stats” in the upper right-hand corner.
Once you log in to the MongoLab management portal, you can access Telemetry two different ways:
- From your account’s Home page, locate the deployment whose stats you want to view and click on the graph icon at the end of the row. You can choose to view metrics for any member in your deployment.
- From the deployment’s Home page, click on the “Monitoring” tab, locate the server whose stats you want to view and click on the “open historical” link at the end of the row.
We hope Telemetry helps you become even more productive with MongoDB. If you’re new to MongoLab, you can get started with Telemetry by provisioning any for-pay plan. Please keep in mind that Telemetry is in alpha, which means it may be subject to occasional downtime and clearing of historical data.
We greatly value your feedback during the alpha period so please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with bug reports or general comments.